It’s Wednesday and while it’s not business time, it IS time for me to share this article with you. It’s called 50 Tips for Baking Better Cakes, and I thought some of it was quite helpful. You can read the whole thing over at Sweetapolita (it’s rather long), but for now I’ll tell you the tips I liked best:
- #1 : Ingredients for cakes should be at room temperature. Whenever I ignore this, I always regret it later.
- #24 : To retrieve stray eggshells in mixture, use the emptied half-shell – eggshell sticks to eggshell. If you don’t get them all, they will sink during baking, so you can turn baked cake over when cool and retrieve them.
- #27 : When mixing egg whites for meringue, wipe all untensils and bowl with vinegar or lemon juice on a paper towel before they come in contact with the egg whites (including the mixer whisk attachment). Any trace of grease, will likely jeopordize your meringue.
- #38 : Typically, when in oven, cakes are nearing done when you can smell cake in the kitchen. Sounds weird, but you’ll see!
- #47 : Apply thin layer of icing to seal in crumbs, then place in refrigerator for 30 minutes before second layer. This is for big cakes, obviously.
OK, I hope you found those interesting. Have a great day. xox