If you’ve been following my blog for a while, you’ll know by now that I LOVE peanut butter and chocolate together, in whatever form – ice cream, cake, peanut butter M&M’s and Reese’s cups. SO, when my lovely sister in law gave me some Reese’s the other day, I decided to put them on cupcakes. The cupcakes must have turned out OK, because my colleagues’ happiness levels seemed to increase about ten fold when I took them to work.
And here is my chocolate and peanut butter cupcake recipe, so you can make them yourself some time:
Chocolate Cupcakes (makes 12)
- 115g butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbs milk
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (sifted)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.
- Set aside a 12-cup cupcake tray with cupcake liners.
- Cream the butter until smooth.
- Add the sugar gradually and beat until fluffy and white (this should take about 3 minutes with an electric mixer).
- Add the eggs, one at a time, and mix well after each one is added.
- Add the dry ingredients in three parts, alternating with the milk.
- Now it is time to spoon the batter into the cupcake liners. They should be about two thirds full.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted into the center of the cupcake comes out clean.
Creamy Peanut Butter Icing
- 125g butter
- 4 cups icing sugar
- 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
- 3 tbs milk
- Cream the butter and peanut butter with an electric mixer until combined.
- Slowly add two cups of icing sugar, and 2 tbs of milk.
- Add the rest of the icing sugar and mix thoroughly. Add more milk if the icing is too thick.
- Ice your cupcakes, and decorate with Reese’s cups (you can also use M&M’s like in this post).
And that’s all folks. Enjoy 🙂