Yesterday I found these adorable mini candy canes at Woolworths, and I decided they need some cupcakes to go with them. So, in the spirit of Christmas, I made gingerbread cupcakes and topped them with vanilla icing and chocolate ganache. And candy canes. Here is my recipe.
Gingerbread Cupcakes (makes 24)
- 3 cups cake flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 225g butter (at room temperature)
- 1 cup milk (at room temperature)
- 4 extra-large eggs
- 2 tsp baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- Heat your oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Set out two 12-cup cupcake tins with cupcake liners.
- In a big mixing bowl, cream the butter until it is smooth.
- Add the sugar gradually and beat until the mixture is fluffy and light in colour.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each one.
- Add the dry ingredients (including the spices) in three parts, alternating with the milk.
- Spoon the batter into the cupcake liners! Each one should be about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20 minutes (or until a cake tester comes out clean).
- Ice your cupcakes with vanilla buttercream, and top with chocolate ganache and candy canes.
Happy christmas baking friends. I am off to wrap some pressies. x