I absolutely love these blueberry muffins (I found the recipe over at Joy the Baker). The browned butter and blueberries are just the most amazing combination. They are my husband’s favorite too, and so I just had to make them for our anniversary weekend. Miraculously we still have some left in the freezer for a rainy day… Actually, I might defrost them right now while I’m thinking about it. Even though it’s not raining. Here is the recipe:
Browned Butter Blueberry Muffins (adapted from Joy the Baker)
Makes 12 muffins.
- 100g butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups blueberries (fresh is best, but frozen works too)
For the Topping:
- 3 Tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 3 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C.
- Set aside a muffin pan with 12 muffin/cupcake liners.
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat, until the butter starts turning brown (you’ll have to keep a close eye on it). Remove it from the heat immediately.
- In a large bowl, whisk the milk, egg and yolk together. Add the brown butter and stir to combine.
- Now stir in the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Gently but thoroughly fold in the blueberries.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.
- To make the topping, combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and rub together with your fingertips (a similar process to making crumble topping). Sprinkle evenly over the batter.
- Bake until golden and a cake tester comes out clean, about 18-20 minutes.
These are most delicious when they are fresh! But you can also store them in an airtight container of freeze them. Enjoy 🙂