Sitting lazily in the Sunday sun, eating scones with jam and cheese. That would be one of my favorite childhood memories. And scones would be one of my favorite baked goods. I just love them. Here is my recipe for those of you who love them too.
- 350g plain flour
- 1.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1.5 tsp cream of tartar
- 85g butter, cut into cubes
- 3 tbsp caster sugar
- 175ml buttermilk
- 1 beaten egg (to glaze)
- Preheat the oven to 220C and line a baking sheet with baking paper (NOT wax paper).
- Put the flour, bicarb and cream of tartar in a bowl. Add a pinch of salt if you are using unsalted butter.
- Rub the butter into the flour, until the mixture represents fine crumbs.
- Mix in the sugar, and then add the buttermilk. Stir together until a dough forms.
- Cover your hands in flour and fold the dough over a few times until it is smooth, then roll it out until about 2-3cm thick.
- Cut your scones out with a round cutter, placing them on the baking sheet.
- Brush the tops with the egg. This is so your scones brown nicely.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until the tops are golden brown.
Eat with jam, cream and cheese!